CURRICULUM VITAE HIGHLIGHTS Dr. Linda Pratt Elmira College One Park Place Elmira, New York 14901
- Ed. D. University of Massachusetts – Amherst (Reading) Dissertation Topic: A Psycholinguistic Analysis of Oral Reading Miscues Generated by First Graders during Guided and Unguided Reading Activities)
- M.Ed. University of Massachusetts - Amherst (Reading)
- B.A. University of Massachusetts - Amherst (Education)
- Executive Director of Teacher Education and Charles Dana Professor of Education, Elmira College, Elmira, NY 14901
- Director of the Graduate Reading Program Elmira College, Elmira, NY 14901
- Assistant Professor of Education Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Graduate Reading Program, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- In-service Teacher Educator and Research Assistant Human Potential Center, University of Massachusetts, Amherst Education sites: Kansas City, Missouri (Preschool Site); Fall River, Massachusetts (Preschool Site); Suffield, Connecticut (Elementary School Site); and Hamden, Maine (Elementary School Site)
- Reading Resource Teacher, Grades 5-8
- Elementary School Teacher, Grades 1-2
Educational Honors and Distinctions
- Selected for The Jessie Ball duPont Summer Seminar (Cultural Memory) for Liberal Arts College Teachers. The National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, N.C. (1994) Explored theories of memory and the means by which memory is transmitted by focusing on two traumatic moments that have shaped human consciousness - the Holocaust and African American slavery.
- Based on my nominations and efforts, Sir Lynden Pindling, former Prime Minister of the Bahamas (1992) and His Excellency Sir Orville Turnquist, former Governor General of the Bahamas (2000) were awarded honorary doctoral degrees at Elmira College.
- Citizen Ambassador to Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg) and Hungary (Budapest) U.S. Reading Delegation (1992)
- Sears-Roebuck Foundation and Teaching Excellence and Campus Leadership Award (199l) Elmira College
- Kappa Delta pi, International Education Honor Society, Chapter Counselor (1988-present)
- International Grant for Summer Work Abroad (1986) Elmira College
- Delta Kappa Gamma, Alpha Rho Chapter Scholarship Grant (1983)
- Delta Kappa Gamma, New York State Level Scholarship Grant (1983)
- All graduate courses offered within the literacy masters’ degree program. Education Seminar offered to international graduate students in all fields and levels of Education.
- All undergraduate elementary, secondary literacy courses and college reading and study skills course (included all majors).
- All Field and Student Teaching I and II courses offered stateside (all certificate titles and levels offered).
- Student Teaching I courses in San Salvador and Nassau, Bahamas, and England (all certificate titles and levels offered).
- Southern Tier Reading Council, Board of Directors
- BOCES Teacher Center Policy Board, Board of Directors
- Twin Tiers Outstanding Teacher of the Year Committee
- Board of Directors for (CIDS) Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Development Services Board of Directors for Chemung County Child Care Connection
- Member of the Strategy DC Action Team for the Elmira City School District (Multicultural Education Team)
- Member of the Public School Safety Committee, Elmira City Schools
- Consultant to the Lyford Cay Scholarship Foundation, Bahamas
- Consultant to the Ministry of Education, Nassau, Bahamas
- Board of Directors for Literacy Volunteers
- Member of the Editorial Board, New York State Reading Association
- Delegate to Assembly of Delegates, New York State Reading Association
- Member of the Board of Directors, New York State Reading Association
- President of the Chemung Area Reading Council
- New York State College Teacher Educators
- New York State Association of Teacher Educators
- Kappa Delta Pi, Chair of the National Budget Committee (December of 2002-2004) Member, from 2000-2004 (Budget over $3,000,000)
- Kappa Delta Pi, Member of the Deborah P. Wolfe Doctoral Scholarship Committee
- Kappa Delta Pi, Chapter Counselor 1988-present
- International Reading Association
- Literacy Research Association (reviewed conference proposals)
- Chemung Area Reading Council
- New York State Reading Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Delta Kappa Gamma- Alpha Epsilon Chapter
- Beta Tau Chapter of Alpha Sigma Lambda (honorary member)
- Grants Written
- “Elmira College and Riverside Elementary School Public/Private Collaboration.” The John Ben Snow Memorial Trust 2002-2003) Elmira College was awarded money to purchase laptop computers to use in schools with a partnership program in using technology to enhance science and mathematics skills of third and forth grade students. This program was also designed to assist pre-service teachers in teaching more effectively in these areas.
- “Elmira College and Riverside Elementary School Public/Private Collaboration.” The John Ben Snow Memorial Trust 2001-2002 Elmira College was awarded money to purchase computers for the school associated with the partnership program designed to use technology to enhance science and mathematics skills of third and forth grade students. This program was also designed to assist pre-service teachers in teaching more effectively in these areas.
Current Texts and Articles
- Beaty J. J. & Pratt, L. (2015) Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective, 4th Edition. Columbus, Ohio Pearson Education, Inc. (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-356330-6, ISBN-10: 0-13-356330-8).
- Beaty J. J. & Pratt, L. (2011) Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective, 3rd Edition. Columbus, Ohio Pearson Education, Inc. (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-705698-9, ISBN-10: 0-13-705698-2).
- Pratt, L. and Pratt, M. “Was Mark Twain a Naturalist.” In C. A. Lassonde New York State Grade 7, English Language Arts Test (2010). Barron’s Education Series, Inc. New York. In production.
- Pratt, L. and Pratt, M. “Fossils and Earth’s History.” In C. A. Lassonde New York State Grade 6, English Language Arts Test (2008). Barron’s Education Series, Inc. New York. (ISBN -13:978-0-7641-4030-3).
- Pratt, L., Weiss, K. J., and Maina, F. “Becoming a Teacher Researcher: Part Opener and Case Study.” In C. A. Lassonde and S. E. Israel (eds.), Teachers Taking Action: A Comprehensive Guide to Teacher Research (2008). Newark: International Reading Association (ISBN 978-0-87207-463-7).
- Pratt, L. and Weiss, K. J. “Student Teachers, Teacher Research and Ethics.” In S. E. Israel and C. A. Lassonde (eds.), The Ethical Educator: Integrating Ethics within the Context of Teaching and Teacher Research (2007). Peter Lang, New York (ISBN 978-1-4331-0159-5).
- Beaty, J. J. & Pratt, L. (2007) Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective, 2nd Edition. Columbus, Ohio Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-238295-4).
- Beaty, J. J. & L. Pratt. (2007) Instructional Manual and Test Bank to accompany Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective (2nd edition). Saddlewood, NJ: Pearson Education (Prentice Hall/Merrill). On-line
- Beaty, J. J. & Pratt, L. (2003) Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten. Columbus, Ohio Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-014828-8).
- Pratt, L. & Beaty, J. J. (1999) Transcultural Children's Literature. Columbus, 0hio. Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-134328167).
- Pratt, L. (1996) "Dialogues about Literacy Education in Russia." The Language and Literacy Spectrum, a Journal of the New York State Reading Association. Troy, New York. 6, Spring 1996. Also, I am an Editorial Board Member. Excelsior: Leadership in Teaching and Learning. New York State Association of College for Teacher Education (2007-present).
- Pratt, L. Preparing Students Tachers for 21st Century Teaching and Learning. Presented at the Biennial Convocation for Kappa Delta Pi in Indianapolis, Indiana (October 2011)
- Pratt, L. and Pratt, M. Curriculum, Instructional Delivery, and Quality Assurance: Prerequisites for Attracting and Globalizing Student Brainpower. Oxford University Round Table, Oxford, England (August, 2011).
- Pratt, L. and Kennedy, M. A College-School District Partnership: A Developmental Model for Pre-service Teachers. Presented at the Biennial Convocation for Kappa Delta Pi in Orlando, Florida, October 2009.
- Pratt, L. and Weiss, K.J. Becoming a Teacher Researcher. Presented at the “Supporting, Mentoring, and Advancing Teacher Research Institute” at the International Reading Association Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, May 2008
- Pratt, L. Pre-service and Practicing Teachers Working Effectively in Elementary Classrooms. Presented at the Kappa Delta Pi 2007 Convocation in Louisville, Kentucky, November 2007.
- Pratt, L. and Walker, M. Integrating a Comprehensive Assessment and Curriculum Management System into a Liberal Arts College’s Teacher Education Program. New York State Association of Colleges for Teacher Education/New York State Association of Teacher Education Conference, Saratoga Springs, New York, April 2007.
- Beaty, J. and Pratt, L. Here Comes the Dinosaurs, Bring Out the Readers. National Child Care Association Conference. Las Vegas, NV. March, 2007.
- Pratt, L. Presented Kappa Delta Pi Budget Report and also lead a workshop group on Strategic Thinking. Kappa Delta Pi’s 44th Convocation in St. Louis, MO. November 2003.
- Pratt, L. and Carter, J. “Assessing Student Teachers’ Needs and Phases of Development through Questioning”. Kappa Delta Pi 43rd Convocation at Orlando, FL. November 2001
- Pratt, L. “Transcultural Children’s Literature” Delta Kappa Gamma Society, Horseheads, NY. March 1999
- Pratt, L. "Patterns of Transcultural Children's Literature." Kappa Delta Pi Conference, St. Louis, MO, November 1997.
- Pratt, L. ''Learning About the World Through Transcultural Children's Literature." 19th World Congress of the Federation Internationale des Professors de Langues Vivantes Recife, Brazil, March 1997.
- Pratt, L. "Taking the lead with Transcultural Children's Literature." Nova southeastern University Summer Institute. Uppsala University - Uppsala, Sweden, July 1996. Pratt, L. "An Overview of Reading Recovery". Uriah McPhee primary. Nassau, Bahamas, May 1996.
- Pratt, L. "Classroom Applications for Using International Children's Literature in an Asian Setting.” Asian Reading Congress, Singapore, June 1995.
- Pratt, L. "Enhancing a Literature-Rich Environment by Using Transcultural Children's Literature in the Classroom." 24th (IBBY) Congress, Seville, Spain, October 1994.
- Pratt, L. "Incorporating International Children's Literature into Language-Based Units” Kappa Delta Pi Conference, Orlando, Florida, March 1994.
- Pratt, L. "Attending a Liberal Arts College" St. Andrews, Nassau, Bahamas, 1993.
- Pratt, L. Introduced Prime Minister, Sir Lynden Pindling of the Bahamas. Commencement Speech at Elmira College May 1992.
- Pratt, L. "Conducting a Pre-student Teaching Course in Reading and Writing to American Undergraduates in Another Country" Citizen Ambassador Program, Budapest, Hungary, May 1992.
- Pratt, L. "Developing Preservice Teachers' Proficiency in Teaching Literacy to Elementary Children in an International Setting." Kappa Delta Pi Conference, Memphis, Tennessee, March 1992.
- Pratt, L. "Teaching Affects Eternity." (National keynote speaker) Teachers' Appreciation Week, Paradise Island, the Bahamas, May 1991.
- Pratt, L. "Living Within another Culture" Junior Year Abroad Program, Elmira College, 1990.
- Pratt, L. "How To Read and Understand Your College Texts." International Club. Elmira College, 1987.
- Pratt, L. "Reading: Keys to Succeed." (Keynote speaker) Ministry of Education, Nassau, The Bahamas, 1986.
- Pratt, L. "Current Trends in Reading Education." Bahamas Principal Association, Nassau, The Bahamas, 1985.
- Pratt, L. "Theory and Practice of Miscue Analysis", St. Thomas Reading Association, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, 1984.
- Pratt, L. "An Overview of Miscue Analysis." San Salvador, Bahamas, May 1983.
- Pratt, L. "Language Arts: Where Have We Been? Where Are We Going?" Associate Chair. National Council of Teachers of English. Washington, D.C., November 1982.
- Pratt, L. "Tutoring Reading in a Culturally Different Setting." New York State Reading Association Conference. Kiamesha Lake, New York - November 1982.
- Pratt, L. "Introduction to Miscue Analysis." New York State Reading Association Conference. Kiamesha Lake, New York, November 1981.
- Pratt, L. "Integrating Reading and Writing." Finger Lakes Reading Council. Ithaca, New York, February 1981.
- Pratt, L. "Children as Writers." Associate Chair. National Council of Teachers of English. San Francisco, California, November 1979.
- Pratt, L. "Theory-based Practices in Beginning Reading Instruction." NCTE/National Conference on the Language Arts in the Elementary School. Indianapolis, Indiana, March 1978.
- Pratt, L. "A Psycholinguistic Analysis of the Oral Reading Miscues Made by First Graders During Guided and Unguided Reading Activities.” Research Report. International Reading Association National Convention. Houston, Texas, May 1978.