These resources will assist you in preparing for and recording your videos for edTPA assessment. Process and edTPA Resources
Technology Resources for Recording Your Video
- Recording Video with an iPhone or iPad
Tips, techniques, and best practices for recording a video with an iPhone, iPod touch with video, or iPad including using a wireless microphone kit.
- Using a wireless microphone kit - available for checkout from the IT Help Desk
For an iPhone, iPod touch with video, iPad or video camera with external mic (not compatible with a Flip video camera). The wireless microphone kit is useful for teachers who want to roam around the classroom with a lapel mic clipped to their shirt. However, the microphone will not capture student voice at a distance. You will need to be near the student or group of students.
- Using a Canon Vixia Camcorder - available for checkout from the IT Help Desk
The Canon Vixia HF R400 is a dedicated video camera with a built-in microphone that records .mp4 video at 1920 x 1080 pixels. The Vixia includes an external MIC jack for optional recording with a wireless microphone kit. Do not use an iPhone adapter cable with this camcorder.
- Compressing video with Handbrake - available as a free download for your Mac or PC
Videos should be less than 500MB in size, preferably much smaller. Learn how to significantly compress your video, meeting requirements and facilitating uploading your video to your Pearson account.
- Trimming video with QuickTime Pro (available in the Multimedia Resource Lab) or MPEG Streamclip (available as a free download for your Mac or PC)
Video must be continuous and cannot be edited. However you can trim before and after segments that do not apply to your lesson. Learn how to trim video and quickly save your final clip. QuickTime Pro is available on Macintoshes in the Multimedia Resource Lab.
- Uploading Your Video to Google Drive
Upload Your Video to Google Drive for personal archiving. However, do not share your video with others unless requested by Teacher Education faculty.
If you have your own iPhone or iPad, you can purchase low cost accessories to mount your mobile device on a tripod.
- iPhone and iPad accessories for recording video
- Using a Flip video camera - available for checkout from the IT Help Desk
The Flip is an easy-to-use, standalone video camera with a built-in microphone. It will not work with a wireless microphone system nor any other external microphone. Not recommended for edTPA videos!